Monday, March 16, 2009

Sushi, Sushi, Sushi!!!


I can't get it out of my head! Lately, I've had a crazy craving for sushi. I never really ate it until fairly recently and had it for the first time when I was 21 in Vegas at a sushi bar, then again on a Cruise Ship when I was 23. A few months ago, I ordered Seared Ahi Tuna Steak from P.F. Changs and I was hooked! On Sushi that is!


My craving led me to the grocery store (which now has a sushi bar inside) and I bought a sushi platter and took it home and ate the whole thing. Now, that may sound like a lot, but it wasn't THAT much. I wanted another one when I was done. Now, when I watch the Discovery channel and see large fish, I want to take a bite out of them!!!


So far, I've had salmon and eel, but haven't tried anything else. I love soy sauce and any Japanese roll with sushi in it. Also, when I went to the store, I bought two frozen tuna steaks to try seared tuna on my own. Has anyone else made sushi at home before? Sheila, have you tried it? I want some tips on what I can do with salmon filets or something else that I can buy and is sushi-safe. My local grocer is really good and gets fresh fish regularly.


Anyways, I thought I would share my wild craving with everyone. Please tell me about your sushi experiences, what you liked, didn't like, or any tips you can give me! I'm new to the sushi world, to teach me a bit and give me suggestions. =)


This was the sushi plate I devoured in minutes...

8 comments:

Pedaling said...

i love sushi!
but am too afraid to try and make it on my own.
when we go out we always try a few kinds- usually including the basic california rolls- another favorite is dragon balls, we always laugh at the name as we order it. and i love Wahhabi- do you? it's good for cleaning our the sinuses. tuna and salmon sushi is nice, too.

Lulu said...

Joey, I must admit that I like my fish OVER COOKED.

Next time we get together I may try it again.

My favorite is still catfish from CATFISH CABIN in Jackson, Tennessee

Lulu said...

When I watch
MAN VS WILD on tv, Bear eats raw fish.

Ellyse V. Girod said...

Yes! Sushi is delicious, right now I'm working at a sushi restaurant. (Actually owned by Koreans, ironic, I never thought I'd eat kim chi again, yet every morning there it is. Ha)
Sushi is good for you. Tuna, eel, octopus, salmon are all faves!

JoeyBLS said...

Everytime I go to the store and see the fresh unfrozen salmon steaks, I just want to take a huge bite out of them! I like Wasabi with my sushi and soy sauce. Uncle Ronald, we'll have to go to a Japanese restaurant, maybe House of Kobe by Teibels in Schererville.

Hey EV, I thought of you the other day...I was on YouTube looking at sushi videos and they had a South Korean restaurant that served the sushi ALIVE! They scaled the fish and fried it for a few seconds, but didn't do anything to the ehad and people picked at it on a plate on the table while it was still gasping for air. Pretty wild...I would feel too bad for the fish doing that, but it still looked tasty!

I get excited when I watch Survivorman on TV and he catches a fish and cooks it on a campfire. YUM!

Jen said...

I'm not a big fan of most sushi but I like the raw fish they serve at Polynesian weddings. Good stuff.

sandyseashells said...

I first started eating sushi about a year ago. The best way to learn about sushi is go to a sushi bar with someone who understands the menu and SIT UP AT the BAR and ask questions to the sushi chef, as he prepares all kinds of it for others. It's an art, just watching those guys make it. We go out for it alot now. Greg wasn't that excited at first, but now he loves it, and looks forward to a nice entertaining night out when we go. My favorites are, spicy tuna, eel, octopus, salmon, and a white fish, (I can't think of the name.) Go easy on the soy sauce so you can taste the sushi.
YUM-

BADogs said...

I love Sushi!! Califonia has lots of REALLY great sushi places, next time your down this way we'll take you out for some. And seared Ahi Tuna is the best i now a great place for that